Making music since 1956.
In addition to playing a wide range of repertoire, the symphony’s mission is to partner the community with education projects that inform and outreach programs that bring music to the widest possible population.
The symphony originated in 1956 with the help of small instrumental ensembles. Morine Nyquist conducted rehearsals with what was then known as the Huron College-Community Orchestra. The fact that Huron had an orchestra attracted James Paterson Jr. to join the Huron College faculty. As conductor, he increased the number of players by adding advanced young musicians and several professionals. By 1962 the orchestra was known as the Huron Symphony. Today we are proud to call it the Huron Symphony Orchestra.